The other day, I was deep in conversation with one of my business besties over how hard it is to grow your business when you are still stuck doing all the things IN it (and side note: and how exhausting that is), and it got me thinking about just how common her problem is.
Most of the women we work with are in a pressure cooker of business, family and life (some still have day jobs on top of all that). As a mum of 2, an employer of 7 staff, and a director of an agency with an active client roster of 40 clients, I’m in the pressure cooker too!
But one thing that ALL our current and future clients have is big goals for their business and their lives.
Here’s what our clients (and I) know, that you might not yet:
- Having goals isn’t enough. You need to have a clear vision about what you want for your business, and then the gumption needed to make it happen.
- You can’t manifest a successful business. You need to be smart about the choices you make regarding your resources (time and energy being 2 very important resources) and have the space to do the work.
- A vision board and a business plan is great, but the gumption needed to implement, to market consistently and to take a managed risk is the difference between making goals and reaching goals.
There is a point you get to in business, where you simply can’t grow without investing in a support team to help you scale and elevate to your next level.
The problem is, growing a team of skilled professionals is actually really hard and it takes time (and is a major investment $$$). And the nature of online business is that each part is so closely connected to the next part that you need an integrated approach to all projects. When teams aren’t integrated in the online space, you’ll find yourself constantly project managing or having to pay someone to project manage as you flick emails around between your designer, developer, copywriter, Va and integrations specialist, slowing down your growth and actually creating another big headache for you as the business owner.
You also might not even know WHAT roles you need on your team, or where to even find these people.
Here is who makes it onto my Flourish Dream Team list for running a successful online business in 2021:
An Online Business and Brand Strategist
What they do: Your OBBS works with you to refine and elevate your current online business to its next iteration. This can include removing old programs, adding new ones, transitioning from a 1:1 to 1:Many model, a rebrand or brand Refresh, reviewing what is working and what needs refining. They work with you on the Vision of the business and the key milestones needed to get you there.
An Online Business Manager / Project Manager
What they do: Your OBM or PM works with you to achieve the business goals, overseeing the day to day operations to make sure things get done, and to coordinate communication with your team so you as the business owner can be removed from the daily tasks associated with your growth plan. An OBM (Online Business Manager) is the bridge between your strategy and vision and actually getting the work done. An OBM manages timelines and team members and takes care of all the implementation so you can get back to being the visionary in your business.
What they do: In most businesses, the business owner struggles with the amount of copy needed to implement all the things. Very quickly, a business owner can become the bottleneck as the amount of emails, social posts, products, onboarding documents, blog posts etc start to pile up on the business owners plate. This very quickly leads to a lack of implementation, which therefore means you stop growing! Working with a copywriter is a fantastic way to make things happen faster. Whether you get the copywriter to do the first draft for you to personalise, or you provide a first draft for the copywriter to clean up, you’ll find working with a copywriter the KEY to implementing faster and producing more content.
A Graphic Designer
What they do: If you’ve been in business for a minute, chances are you’ve worked with a Graphic Designer. In the online space, a graphic designer is the key to making sure your visual brand is protected and fortified as you invest in scaling and building your empire. What you could spend days on trying to make look semi decent in Canva, a Graphic Designer can spend a few hours on, resulting in a product that you feel good about selling (and that your customers are excited to buy). And the best bit? Unlike taking a chance on a new contractor, design subscription service or a random on Upwork, our local designers are university educated and experienced professionals who won’t waste your time producing average results.
A Web designer / Web Developer
A Email Marketing Integrations Specialist
What they do: Once someone gets to your website, opts in for your free offer…then what? An email marketing integration specialist looks at the nurture phase of your relationship with you potential client…and a lot more. Setting up funnels, payments, segment targeting, testing, re-engagement and list cleaning, email deliverability, ecourse delivery… This is someone you definitely want on your team to implement the path to your strategic growth.
OTHER important roles
8) Facebook Advertising Specialist: For best results, work with a FB ads specialist and not just “someone who can do ads”. You’ll want monthly or weekly reports, and this person will need to work closely with your OBM to make sure your ads are going out for the right things at the right time. Facebook Ads change all the time and due to the financial investment you are making with FB ads, you want someone who is going to manage your money right.
9) A Virtual Assistant: In our experience, virtual assistants are really hit and miss. The good ones end up transitioning into an OBM or PM role, others tend to only do it as a bridging job, others are quite unskilled and end up taking the same amount of time (or longer) than it would do get a skilled professional to do it. But more so, we find the expectations of online business owners on VA’s to be generally unfair. You cannot hire a $5 an hour VA from the Phillipines to redesign your website and expect a fabulous outcome. You cannot hire a VA and expect them to jump into your Ontraport account and automatically know how your business works. VA’s require training, process, SOP’s and repeatable tasks to support their growth into your business. Think of a VA hire as a longterm relationship that moves slowly and in which you need to take the lead – don’t expect a VA to know magically how everything in YOUR unique business works without first showing them step by step. Business owners often make a VA hire as the first hire in their business, and do so without any procedures in place to support the VA.
Our preference is to hire in-house admin assistants and train them up to have specific skillsets for online business. If you have a great VA – hold onto them and treat them right! They are hard to come by.
The problem is, growing a team of skilled professionals is actually really hard and it takes time (and is a major investment $$$).
And the nature of online business is that each part is so closely connected to the next part that you need an integrated approach to all projects. When teams aren’t integrated in the online space, you’ll find yourself constantly project managing or having to pay someone to project manage as you flick emails around between your designer, developer, copywriter, Va and integrations specialist, slowing down your growth and actually creating another big headache for you as the business owner.
This knowledge (which I learnt the hard way) inspired me to build the Flourish Dream Team, and ever since we’ve helped hundreds of amazing female entrepreneurs to achieve their online business goals with our ready to go business building service.
Because if there is one thing smart business owners know it is this: You can do anything, but you can’t do everything.
So let us help you.
The Flourish Dream Team is our ongoing partnership program where you get our team on your business growth for a number of hours per month over 12 months.
For you, this means no more hires (or mis-hires), a full support team AND a strategist (Me) ready to jump in and get your business growing from the first week, and the peace of mind that you aren’t alone – you actually have a proven dream team on your side.
Everything (apart from FB ads) is done in house by the team – including Online Business Management, Project Management, Launch Management, Integrations, Automations, Funnels, Copy, Content, Branding, Graphic Design, Web Design, Membership Design, Web Development, Social Media Marketing.
So, are you ready for the Dream Team? Read more about it here.
Opt In Ideas To Mega Boost Your Email List
Take all the guesswork out of planning your next email list builder with this definitive list of opt in ideas. No matter what kind of content you do, what your niche is or your preferred method of delivery, your perfect opt in is on this list. Guaranteed.