Pretty much 8 out of 10 times a new client comes to us one of the biggest issues is that even though they have been working in their business for years, they aren’t “showing up” in the online space.
Having an online presence is so much more than having a website, a Facebook page and some other social media accounts. Its about showing up, consistently, and connecting with your community.
Even if you aren’t a “personal brand” (i.e. your brand is YOU), its essential that your clients and community can see the person/people behind the business.
Remember: At the end of the day we are all just people at the other end of a computer screen, looking for ways to connect with other people.
If you think you are hiding away from the online world, ask yourself “Why”?
- Is it because you are afraid of being criticised?
- Are you ashamed of your website?
- Are you embarrassed of your appearance?
- Do you think you don’t have anything valid to say?
- Are you “too busy”?
- Are you afraid of looking “stupid”?
These reasons are the reasons why our clients hide away – most of the time. And the good news is – they are all fixable. Most reasons for hiding away are due to confidence. You have to be brave, people! Having an online presence is not for the faint of heart, but it IS for people who want to spread a message and reach more people with their knowledge and services.
Here are 5 quick and easy ways to infuse more of you into your online presence:
- Add an about widget to your sidebar, and into the area at the bottom of your blog posts, and link this to your about page. Many people will come to your blog for the first time and want to know more about the people/person behind the blog/company. Make it easy for them! If they read some content and they LOVE it , I can guarantee you that their next step is to find out how they can find out more about you and find more ways in which you can help them or have a similar story. We are all just people, wanting to connect with other people.
- Make sure you have some images of you on your site. If you don’t, you are burning cash. Having an image of you on your website (and social media channels) is an essential. If you are not prepared to do this, your not ready for an online business. It’s that simple. Put yourself out there, no matter if its a professional shot or a selfie. Just do it, and get over it.
- Show us your day in your social media feeds. We are all just people, wanting to connect with other people. Show us how you start your work day, how you take a break, what you are working on. Your community will love a sneak peak into what it’s like to be you, and you’ll build trust as they see your REAL and RELATABLE.
- Team up with other people. Do interviews. Create joint ventures. Get out there and create a network of professional peers. Tell your community who you are speaking with. Share their blog posts.
- Introduce yourself. Show up in online groups and communities and introduce yourself. Share knowledge, answer questions and engage. Don’t promote unless the time is right, no one likes people who only show up to self-promote and try and sell. Just show up, as you, and get chatting.
Are you afraid to show up online? Tell us why in the comments below!